Client: Fisheries Victoria, Department of Primary Industry, Victoria
The $23 million Rock Lobster and Giant Crab industry in Victoria requires careful monitoring and management. To ensure the longevity and legal distribution of this valuable resource, Fisheries Victoria has put in place an extensive reporting and monitoring infrastructure.
A key part of the infrastructure is the Crustacea Quota Management System (CQMS) developed by Spatial Vision.
From the outset, the CQMS was designed to complement the working environment and practices of the Cray fishing industry. From their boats, fishers report their catch and intended destination via a mobile phone prior to landing. The true 'real-time' nature of the CQMS means that Fisheries Officers are notified immediately of the movements of each vessel via e-mail or SMS so they meet the boat at arrival at port.
The CQMS is characterised by the innovative use of technology. Recent enhancements include the automatic construction and distribution (via e-mail) of electronic licence quota statements. This feature has resulted in fishers receiving their statements more frequently and far less manual intervention on the part of Fisheries Victoria.
The CQMS was designed to be tighly integrated with the existing Fisheries’ Licensing System to leverage available functionality and minimise duplication of effort to bring the application to deployment quickly.
- Ability to understand the natural resource and administrative requirements of the client
- Data modelling design and implementation
- Client/server application design, development and implementation
- Seamless integration and effective use of Interactive Voice Recognition interface.
- Delivery of a true ‘real-time’ application offering greatly enhanced law enforcement capabilities.
- Implementation of a range of innovative technologies including SMS, real-time Email and electronic documents (pdf).
John Heskins and Scott Manley undertook much of the design of the data model and database. Scott Manley developed the Windows based application.
- PowerDesigner (data modelling software)
- Sybase Relational Database Management System
- PowerBuilder (client/server development software)