Client: Michael Howes (03) 8627 4819, Information Interpretation, Parks Victoria
Parks Victoria is responsible for managing an extensive network of parks. With over 13 million visits per year to parks managed by the organisation there is a high demand for up-to-date guide material, particularly maps and informative text.
Spatial Vision provides quality development, design and publishing services to Parks Victoria for a variety of publications and display materials. Some of the materials produced for Parks Victoria includes;
"Parknotes", a high quality black and white brochure series providing information to visitors to Victoria's parks.
Production of quality large format colour displays for Parks Victoria Information Boards
Inclusion of Parknote products to the Parks Victoria Website utilising Adobe Acrobat PDF technology.
Staff at Spatial Vision, in consultation with Regional Communication and Marketing Officers and other marketing staff, have assisted in the preparation of the "Corporate Guidelines for Parknote Production". These guidelines ensure high quality and consistent identity for style, maps, information content and graphic product in the Parknote series.
All maps are digitally produced utilising MapInfo or Macromedia Freehand with text and graphics compiled using Microsoft Word.
Map information such as roads, hydrology and park boundaries is sourced from either 1:25,000 or 1:100,000 data sets, held by the Department of Natural Resources & Environment, using ArcView or MapInfo, and imported to Macromedia Freehand.
In some instances Spatial Vision co-ordinate and quality control the printing and distribution of these Parknotes to Parks Victoria Regional Offices.
A comment received from David Newton, Regional Communication and Marketing Officer, Victoria West Region, Parks Victoria:
"Peter and Roger strive to provide a quality professional service, skill and technical expertise in the creation of our Parknotes. They can combine design, friendly customer service, advice, attention to detail, and have very quick turnaround times which has not been beaten. I highly recommend their services."
- The ability to merge both text and maps to create an informative product, incorporating identification of Ranger, Visitor Interpretation and Regional Marketing needs in the compilation of map products.
- Quality Assurance of both map, text and printing components of the products.
- Complimentary feedback from Parks Victoria Regional Marketing and field staff in the ability to provide a “one-stop shop” for their products, a valuable service in their eyes.
- Understanding of how to address complex Parknote and display products in relation to size, colour and layout.
- Addition of a number of Parks to the Parks Victoria Website. These can be viewed at: www.parkweb.vic.gov.au
Peter Smith and Roger Heeps undertook all components of this project. The skills they apply include.
Experience of knowing what the client needs.
- Macromedia Freehand
- Adobe Photoshop